Director of Grid Development
EirGrid Group is responsible for a safe, secure and reliable supply of electricity – now and in the future. The group has a pivotal role in the economies of Ireland and Northern Ireland, supporting competition in energy, promoting economic growth, facilitating renewable energy and providing essential services.
The Group develops, manages and operates the electricity transmission grid through EirGrid in Ireland and SONI (System Operator Northern Ireland) in Northern Ireland.
The transmission grid brings electricity from where it is generated to where it is needed to power the distribution network and to supply businesses and industries that require large amounts of electricity. The distribution network in turn supplies electricity for everyday use in homes, businesses and communities across the island.
Director of Grid Development
The appointee to the role will report to the Chief Executive of EirGrid Group and will be responsible for managing the delivery of one of Ireland’s largest and most critical infrastructure programmes within agreed budgetary and timescale parameters. This programme derives from a challenging national context of strong economic and population growth, demand for infrastructure enhancements across all sectors of the economy as well as continued growth in foreign direct investment, all of which is happening in the face of an unprecedented challenge to decarbonise both our economy and our society.
The decarbonisation of our power system is recognised as one of the single most important objectives in driving both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland’s socioeconomic systems towards a sustainable future. This role includes identifying, developing and delivering major transmission projects through all key phases including; optioneering, stakeholder engagement, route selection, design, consenting, procurement and project delivery in association with our partners.
The person will be an astute and accomplished leader, capable of developing strong local and regional relationships, possessing deep experience of the infrastructure planning and delivery context in Ireland and Northern Ireland, and capable of developing a compelling vision for vital infrastructure solutions across the island in the next decade. He/She will be an experienced leader in the infrastructure space in Ireland and will have a demonstrable track record in leading and delivering major infrastructure programmes of appropriate scale in Ireland or other relevant jurisdictions.
Your Principal Responsibilities will be to:
- Lead and motivate large teams to deliver on the strategic objectives of the company and specifically manage major capital projects in line with key budgetary, time and quality parameters.
- Lead the development of best in class Management, Consultation and Governance Systems for end to end delivery of major infrastructure projects in Ireland and Northern Ireland.
- Manage the delivery of major projects, in association with our partners, deploying appropriate procurement approaches and modern project controls methodologies.
- Support the development and lead the delivery of infrastructure solutions for electricity generators and demand customers.
- Develop best in class Design, Maintenance and Performance Management protocols for the transmission system, and oversee implementation of same in compliance with international standards.
- Lead the process of partnership with the French Transmission System Operator to develop a 700MW interconnector between Ireland and France and put in place enduring asset management arrangements post commissioning of the asset.
Applicants for this position should forward a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae and supporting letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Deirdre O’Shaughnessy, Partner, Odgers Berndtson.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 23rd November 2018.
Candidates for this role will be sourced through both an advertising and search process.
Embassy House, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, D04 H6Y0
Tel: +353 1 669 7030