Director of Train Operations (Railway Undertaking)
Iarnród Éireann (IÉ) - Irish Rail is Ireland’s national railway company, responsible for operations and infrastructure management. Its mission is to provide transport services that continually meet customers’ requirements and help drive Ireland’s economic growth and development. In 2017, a staff body of 3,800 employees, with an enviable safety record, delivered 45.5m city, intercity and commuter passenger journeys across 1,700 km of railway; moved 100m tons of freight; and managed Rosslare Europort. Last year the business generated revenues of €265m and increasing modal shift has seen average annual growth of 6% in passenger numbers since 2015.
In 2018, IÉ will appoint a Director of Train Operations (Railway Undertaking) who will report directly to the Chief Executive. This appointment is being made as IÉ prepares for unprecedented capital investment under the National Development Plan (NDP) with an estimated €2bn for fleet expansion and infrastructure projects.
Reporting to the Chief Executive and working closely with the Executive team, the Director of Train Operations (Railway Undertaking) will:
- protect and extend the current record at IÉ as one of the safest railways in Europe;
- reinforce IÉ core values of team work and customer centricity;
- support and enhance a well-developed industrial relations climate;
- optimise the financial allocation to IÉ as part of the NDP through sound planning, prudent budgeting and the timely delivery on all commitments through expert project management;
- demonstrate value-for-money in all investments;
- collaborate with all stakeholders, developing highly functioning professional relationships built on trust and integrity.
The Director of Train Operations (Railway Undertaking) is a pivotal position for the future growth and development of all rail services in Ireland, with a significant proportion of the proposed NDP allocation to be invested in rolling stock.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- strong leadership of successful teams on programmes of comparable strategic importance;
- extensive project planning, procurement and delivery credentials;
- sound judgement, foresight and a vision for rail services of the future;
- ability to build multi-stakeholder confidence through deep operational experience and insight;
- experience of rail transport or of comparable operations experience in Ireland or internationally;
- a proven track record of managing in a complex operating environment.
This is a once in a career opportunity for an operations professional to join a senior executive team delivering a fundamental shift in the quality of rail services in Ireland.
To discuss your suitability for the role you may call Michele Stokes at 01 - 792 5538 or Ellen Roche 01 - 792 6703. Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV and a personal statement outlining their fit for the role to email@example.com on or before 22 November 2018.
IÉ is a subsidiary of the commercial semi-state group of transport companies, Córas Iompair Éireann, and its activities are regulated by the National Transport Authority and by the Commission for Railway Regulation.