Engineering Centre of Excellence Associate Director
The Associate Director of Engineering plays a key strategic role leading a diverse, energetic and enthused team of engineering professionals. The role has overall responsibility for:
- Electrical Department
- Energy Management
- Reliability Team
- Process Safety Team (including equipment safety and site permit office)
- Drawing Office
- Project Engineering team
- Emergency Response and Security systems
The Engineering team will function as a High Performing Organisation and act as a Centre of Expertise for Engineering excellence. This is a high profile strategic leadership role with significant above site exposure.
Activities Within Role:
The Associate Director will work closely with cross-functional onsite teams including Operations, Facility Management, I.T, Strategic Partners and Engineering projects and will ensure a strong partnership with above site functions such as Global Engineering, Reliability, Energy, EHS, and Technical operations. Thereby ensuring that the site has best in class infrastructure and systems to manufacture and supply of Quality pharmaceutical products in meeting our Manufacturing Division priorities of Compliance, Supply, Strategy and Profit Plan.
- Responsible for Engineering Centre of Excellence, including performance management, prioritisation of resource assignments, recruitment, mentoring and supervision.
- Champion effective employee relations and communication within the department, while demonstrating a flexible management style.
- Promote a positive employee environment by open communication, engagement and development of team members.
- Select and develop a talented and competent team of Engineering Professionals.
- Coach and mentor team members and others outside of the designated team.
- Develop SMEs (subject matter experts) as necessary to both foster initiatives in strategic areas.
- Agree and drive engineering excellence by setting clear direction and expectations for performance. Take appropriate and timely corrective action if adverse trends begin to emerge.
- Prioritizes and drives execution of multiple complex departmental projects.
- Provide leadership and direction to team on process improvements, address obstacles, provide resources and interact with other areas of the organsiation to assist the team in overcoming problems and streamlining the work process as part of a structured continuous improvement program.
- Development of a world class-manufacturing group that is proficient in process improvement and problem solving.
- Collaborate with the Capital Projects Team to ensure that all new projects are introduced into production in compliance of site EHS and Engineering standards and are operationally successful.
- Development of, and management of personnel.
- Lead and/or represents the function in periodic business metric reviews.
- Initiates cross-functional/site partnerships to identify and resolve engineering issues.
- Actively interfaces all other sites, 3rd part Vendors / Suppliers in pursuit of achieving business targets.
- Observing the Quality and EHS Management Systems requirements on site at all times.
- Keeps oneself well-informed of all relevant technological advancements that could offer Brinny competitive advantage.
- Be an active participant within the Engineering Department sharing Engineering best practices with the site.
- Ensure supply of high quality product through equipment availability, maximize performance of Utility equipment and identify/implement continuous process improvement initiatives.
- Ensure highest Quality & Compliance Standards.
- Provide Engineering expertise within the Emgomeering Team covering a wide range of projects such as the introduction of new equipment, improvements to existing processes etc.
- Participate and Comply with our Quality Management System (QMS) requirements, including ownership.
- Prioritisation of proposed mitigation plans and/or acceptance of Quality Risks identified as part of the Quality Risk Management Process under the remit of decision maker roles and responsibilities.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Use Lean principles to deliver a cost efficient operating model for commercial production while not compromising EHS and Quality standards.
Coaching and Training:
Coaching others by sharing your skill-set and expertise. Identifying talent and coahing and nurturing them to develop and perform at their maximum potential.
Reports to: Site Engineering Director.
- At least 7 years’ experience in the Pharmaceutical industry which included significant leadership roles and demonstrated capability at managing large diverse teams.
- Experience of other industries desirable.
- 5+ Years working at senior leadership level.
- Strong Compliance Mindset, demonstrated capability of understanding EHS & GMP compliance requirements (particularly from an Engineering perspective), demonstrated capability within the Audit environment (specifically EHS & GMP)
- Technical knowledge
- Ability to respond to competing priorities
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to prepare budgets and tightly control expenditures
- Relevant experience in pharmaceutical production management.
- Very strong knowledge of industrial safety standards.
- Operational knowledge within Drug Product, Drug Substance or Utilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge in more than one pharmaceutical and/or chemical manufacturing operation (e.g. Engineering, Manufacturing or Quality etc.)
- Knowledge and experience in applying Six Sigma and Lean Methodologies.
- Proven experience in reducing energy consumption through innovative technology and lean thinking.
- Demonstrated understanding of Project life Cycle , from design through to commissioning/qualification & retirement
- Very Strong Leadership Skills
- Communications skills
- Customer Focus – proven ability to delight customers & end users.
- Demonstrated leadership and change management skills with a continuous improvement focus.
- Strong talent developer, proven capability of fostering engineering/technical talent
- Beneficial to have strong networks within Engineering/Technical community
- Degree or 3rd Level Qualification (Engineering), Masters preferred.
- Desirable to have qualification in Reliability Engineering and/or Project Management.