Director of Systems Development
Are you a seeking a leadership role in Systems and Software Development? Do you want to work for a dynamic, innovative company based in the coolest place on the planet with exciting career opportunities and family friendly working policies? If you’re looking for a leadership opportunity that will allow you to influence the digital transformation and the future of systems development, then we may have the perfect opportunity for you to showcase your talents!
Who are we?
Pramerica Systems Ireland Limited (Pramerica), is part of Prudential Insurance’s Global Business and Technology Solutions business unit. (GBTS). At Pramerica, we provide a vast range of business and technology services to our parent company, Prudential Financial, Inc., which provides financial products and services to retail and institutional customers in over 30 countries. Based in Letterkenny Co. Donegal, Ireland, our aim is to enhance Prudential Financials’ business performance by bringing forward strategic, innovative and cost-effective solutions.
About this role:
Pramerica is seeking a Director, Systems Development to provide information management services for the company to maximize the effectiveness of data collection, processing and reporting. Defines and solves user requirements and utilizing Information Systems Team, develops and implements computer applications and solutions. This role will enable business solutions through proactive consultation with senior management and will work closely with the Pramerica leadership team on the achievement of business results, organization design, and the talent/people agenda.
This role reports directly to the Vice President, Systems, and will lead a talented team across multiple business units and business solutions.
This successful candidate will be a high potential technology leader who understands technical and business realities, and can articulate both short-term projects and a long-term vision. The successful candidate must exert positive influence on the rapid achievement of milestones throughout both the continuous delivery business unit and company.
The Director of Systems Development will be responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of application system initiatives to provide superior information systems that assist the company in maintaining a competitive edge in the marketplace.
The successful candidate will have a successful track record in the delivery of software products with proven experience in building, managing and motivating a strong distributed team of software architects, web developers, software engineers, and QA/test engineers responsible for developing and deploying solutions according to customer and business requirements. The Director must be a true cultural evangelist who will advocate for both the business unit and company’s forward-looking transformation.
Responsibilities, tasks and deliverables;
- Providing leadership to development, implementation and maintain application system initiatives in order to provide superior information systems, prioritize projects and ensuring commitments are met while providing high quality and cost-effective systems that meet customers' expectations.
- Directing all initiatives for IT systems and ensuring that staff remains focused on customer expectations and satisfaction.
- Directing and managing staff, including hiring, performance management and assessment, development, mentoring, training and staff budgeting
- Directs all initiatives for Corporate IT Systems ensuring that staff remains focused on customer expectations and satisfaction.
- Directs all phases of the testing and quality assurance process to ensure all applications/systems initiatives are developed, implemented and maintained according to the quality standards
- Provides knowledge and support in conjunction with senior leadership to assist in strategic planning.
- Lead organizational change in the adoption of Agile transformation, DevOps, and a focus on customer-centricity
- Improves existing software programs and develops new applications to meet future business needs.
- Manages budget and controls expenses effectively.
- Hires, trains, develops and appraises staff effectively.
- Keeps up-to-date on information and technology affecting functional area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
- Deep understanding of the industry frameworks that drive Software application development
- Strong process discipline and experience working with commonly used systems development life cycle methodologies such as waterfall, iterative, agile, etc.
- Understanding of IT cost models and estimation processes
- Champion innovation across the organisation.
- Implement technical strategy and govern across various development teams.
- Manage and provide technical and motivational leadership to multiple teams.
- Experience in Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery & Automation.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Masters in Computer Science or related
- Minimum of 10 years management experience in management position.
- Demonstrated skills/experience with success in managing high volume, service oriented IT project portfolios, systems, strategic planning
- Experience demonstrating knowledge and understanding of Software Development Life Cycles
- Experience in supporting a broad range of technologies and application platforms, including but not limited to: WebSphere /WebSphere Portal Server, JAVA, Mean Stack, .Net,
- Successful track record as a Software Team Lead, System Engineering Team Lead, Product development manager.
- Excellent technical written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize individual and team tasks and projects so that deadlines are met.
- Experience working with business partners and engineers to gather, understand, reengineer, standardize and bridge definitions and requirements,
- Proven ability to deliver project on time and within budget.
- Strong negotiation skills