Associate Finance Director (AFD) – TBCSL – Trinity Brand Commercial Services Limited
Trinity’s Commercial Revenue Unit (CRU) comprises several different Business Units (BUs) totaling €47m in revenue & €25m in contribution. This revenue will be approx. €60m in 20/21 and the Business needs an AFD to drive the business to this level and beyond. With permanent staff of 130 rising to approx. 200 in the summer months. These BUs span the Accommodation, Catering, Commercial Property, Visitor Attractions and Retail sectors, both domestic and international and branding and sponsorship. The CRU strategy is in transition with several new plans being implemented to drive growth. These include the set-up of a separate entity to execute plans for Brand Internationalisation via TBCSL and separately a new Central Events Function to leverage Trinity’s Conferencing and Events assets plans are also underway to deliver an enhanced Book of Kells visitor centre and retail facility. These plans are anticipated to yield profitability growth of 25%+ over the next three years.
Trinity Brand Commercial Services Limited
TBCSL is a separate legal entity to Trinity College Dublin, effectively a start-up, the initial purpose of which is the internationalisation of the Trinity Brand and related assets. This will be executed by developing strategic partnerships with both household brands and innovative Irish designers to translate Trinity and Book of Kells IP and trademarks into merchandise and the subsequent distribution of same to market.
It is the strategic intent of this organization to expand its remit by engaging & facilitating in other areas of the CRU business portfolio over time. This entity will arrange its own business affairs and operate at arms-length from TCD.
Commercial Revenue Unit
While the AFD will be employed directly by TBCSL the majority of his/her role will be occupied by the other financial management requirements of the CRU. To this end the AFD will be deployed managing the financial affairs of the CRU BUs referred to above, revenue of €40m+, EBITDA €25m.
TBCSL is seeking to recruit an experienced and commercially strong Associate Finance Director. This position will report to the Finance Director and will be based in TCD, Dublin. The role will be responsible for Financial Management within the CRU. The Associate Finance Director will be a key member of the senior management team. Applicants will need to be commercial, dynamic, have high energy and a hands-on approach.
Structure of the Finance Function
There are currently five staff in the Finance function of the CRU, one of these reports being very senior, plus an additional six working in various reporting / administration roles within CRU. This cohort is in addition to the support of the TCD Financial Services Division upon which the FD may rely upon for processing of AP, PO, GL & AR transactions.
- Working closely with and providing support to the FD as required. Deputising when needed.
- Lead role in delivering Attraction Management industry leading solution that will deliver enhanced customer experience and bottom line impact of €.5m EBITDA . Presenting to board on this significant project.
- Management of the CRU commercial €55m property portfolio, across multiple locations and sectors including dispute resolutions and rent reviews.
- Advisory role to other University stakeholders on additional property matters with significant value, approx €13m.
- Financial appraisal of projects and proposals from both internal and external sources.
- Review of monthly management accounts, KPI’s, annual budgets and rolling forecasts.
- Responding to Internal Audit Recommendations.
- Evaluation as required, tenders submitted through the University’s Public Procurement Process.
- Provision of commentary to the University’s Financial Services Division, Comptroller and Auditor General and external auditors as part of the annual audit process.
- Ensure policies and procedures are in place for CRU business units to operate commercial best practice and minimises financial risk.
- Manage relationships in a complex stakeholder environment including University departments and the University’s appointed solicitors and Estate Agents.
- Challenge commercial assumptions / positions to ensure optimal commercial outcomes are achieved.
- Ensuring agreements, approved by the Commercial Director, are appropriately documented and executed in accordance with the University’s guidelines and best practice.
- Project manage certain critical projects through the University’s Capital Review Group structure.
- Critically analyse financial information required for strategic and operational decision-making, financial planning and resource allocation.
- Provide support mentoring to the CRU’s Finance staff in the carrying out of their duties.
Experience and skills required:
- 10+ experience in a Senior Financial Position within accommodation / property or retail background strongly preferred.
- Recognised accounting qualification essential.
- Willing to challenge the status quo and drive change actively.
- Solid financial acumen focused on growth with strong analytical experience.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills are essential.
- Excellent organisational ability.
- Strong oral and written communications skills with the ability to manage internal and external relationships.
- Experienced in analysing and writing proposals on a diverse portfolio of activities.
- Strong process design and operation skills.
Closing date: COB 19th July 2018