Vaccines Associate Director of Engineering
MSD is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where MSD has codified its 125-year legacy. MSD’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
MSD Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Reporting to the Start up Lead (Director) of MSDs new Vaccines facility the Associate Director of Engineering will provide engineering leadership to the Engineering team to support manufacture and supply quality vaccines products in meeting the MSD Manufacturing Division Priorities of: Compliance, Supply, People, Strategy and Profit Plan.
The leadership style is one of collaboration, coaching and facilitating the Vaccines IPT team to a high performance organization. This will require a substantial amount of his/her time within the IPT process, engaging and communicating with all IPT members.
The Vaccines IPT Engineering Lead is accountable for the effective and efficient running of all Engineering activities in one if the vaccines IPT value streams. This requires the management of stable processes and the driving of engineering and reliability excellence to deliver all components of a stable process, supported by a flexible, collaborative, multi-skilled teamwork environment.
The Vaccines IPT Engineering Lead will provide support, guidance and expertise to ensure the success of the Engineering team; will model the MSD Leadership Behaviors and understand the MSD Production System (MPS) principles to drive a culture of continuous improvement building a High Performance Organization.
Responsible for driving a culture of Continuous Improvement by deploying MSD Six Sigma tools within the Vaccines Drug Substance IPT.
- Providing coaching and support to the Engineering colleagues, including the identification and development of key talent and skills within the team.
- Drive the team’s performance so that every individual understands their individual contribution and how it impacts the site.
- Responsible for Engineering planning and decisions for the Vaccines IPT, to ensure supply of high quality product through tactical planning and execution of production schedules.
- Provide leadership and direction to team on process improvements, address obstacles, provide resources and interact with other areas of the organisation to assist the team in overcoming problems and streamlining the work process as part of a structured continuous improvement program.
- Ensures manufacturing operations are continually supported and maintained in compliance with quality, safety and environmental regulations
- Sound Engineering stewardship, staffing resource planning maintenance scheduling and control e.g. shutdown activities, vendor management, change control.
- Consistently deliver on key performance metrics, e.g. EHS metrics, Compliance, People and budget performance.
- Responsible for driving a culture of Continuous Improvement by deploying MSD Six Sigma tools and MPS within the IPT on projects such as: problem solving, reducing cycle time, Lean principles within the process.
- Design, develop and implementation of a engineering strategy and roadmap for vaccines processes at the facility for new and existing equipment
- Proven track record of delivering high performance through development and coaching of a team.
- Process and technology background: the successful candidate will fully understand how to drive optimisation.
- Demonstrated ability in holding team members accountable for results and managing performance.
- Demonstrated ability to fully realize improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrated successes in a team environment, such as project teams, Six Sigma team, Tier 4’s etc.
- Stakeholder management of multiple decision makers, corporate colleagues, cross-functional team by demonstrating the ability to maintain and strengthen trust relationships with people on all levels
- Demonstrate Ethics & Integrity
- Third level qualification in Engineering (Masters preferred)
- A minimum of 10 years Engineering or science experience in a pharmaceutical, Biopharmaceutical, medical devices or food processing environment, with 5 years in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated leadership and change management skills with a continuous improvement focus.
- Knowledge of and experience in applying Six Sigma and Lean methodologies
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development
- Strong analytical and technical skills.
Your role at MSD is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At MSD, we’re inventing for life.
MSD is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at MSD via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of MSD. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by MSD as a result of the referral or through other means.