Software Engineering Manager
Are you ready to make a difference in this world? Do you want to be part of a team that develops ground-breaking medical and biotechnology services and devices? One person can make a singular difference in saving and improving lives. At BD, we are looking for amazing, passionate and dedicated people like you.
BD, a company standing on 120 years of innovation in medical technology, is currently recruiting talented individuals to join our new Research and Development (R&D) Centre of Excellence in Limerick.
BD’s purpose is to advance the world of health. As part of our team, you will be on the forefront of creating and developing specialized devices, software solutions and systems to help others. Our new Centre in Limerick provides you with cutting edge technology and a creative environment to be inspired to tap into your inner genius.
You are the one who can make the difference. Join us and be a crucial part of advancing the world of health!
Be the Difference in Software Engineering
BD is looking for a talented Software Engineering Manager with a passion for delivering software products that support the patient care continuum. You are self-motivated, innovative and confident in developing differentiating solutions. You are a strong team member and collaborate effectively with your project team to achieve a high quality products within the scheduled work. You are experienced in full software development lifecycle and adherence to a quality management system.
Be the Software Engineering Manager
The Manager of the Software Engineering department is responsible for developing Software Engineering resources, processes, and tools required to design, develop and sustain best in class clinical in vitro diagnostic, cell analysis and lab automation instruments along with Cyber security and instrument connectivity application software. Duties include strategic planning and budgeting for the function, determining skill needs, talent acquisition, adherence to quality processes, performance management, associate development, and allocation of resources to meet dynamic business needs. Provide technical leadership, assessing technology and industry trends to improve performance and robust software in key focus areas such as security and interconnectivity. Provide guidance to and / or lead project teams by participating in function and business design reviews.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Functional Management of the Software Engineering Staff of the Life Sciences Development Engineering organization
- Interact routinely with R&D Management on matters concerning software engineering technologies and development projects
- Influence Software functional strategy on matters including core capabilities, software quality, software processes, resource development and utilization, and technology roadmap
- Work closely with Life Science Software Engineering Managers to establish and align Software department level plans and objectives with business and R&D strategic plans and objectives
- Identify talent and hire associates with the capabilities needed to meet the department objectives
- Assess and manage performance and development of associates within the group on an ongoing basis
- Requires the ability to change the thinking of, or gain acceptance from, others in sensitive situations, without damage to the relationship
- Provides input into yearly budget planning and ongoing resource planning
- Define the engineering capabilities required to meet new product development and sustaining objectives
- Drive technical and process excellence
- Influence the continuous improvement of the software development process to ensure quality, robust software development work product via metrics and software processes
- Ensure the application of best practice software engineering methods to produce robust software designs
- Drive cross project standardization and maximize software component reuse
- Influence the selection of appropriate technology, technology partners and development partners to ensure project success
- Ensures compliance to BD quality standards and conveys an expectation of high software quality
- Apply Software Engineering expertise in a leadership role
- Lead or participate in design reviews. Thoroughly assess the ability of proposed designs to meet specified requirements
- Plan and lead technical development activities of complex instrumentation systems and software from concept through successful commercialization, sustaining and continuous product improvement within established schedules, budgets, and product cost targets
- Drive tactical and strategic planning for system/software architecture across the BD Life Sciences product line
- Provide technology assessment of competitive systems
- Provide a technical interface to key opinion leaders and major customer
- Collaborate with other technical disciplines and across business functions to develop and meet project objectives
- Form effective working relationships with cross-functional leaders and teams to deliver complete product solutions to the market. Engage with Software Test, Marketing, Field Service, Quality, Regulatory, Planning and Procurement and Manufacturing groups to understand requirements of stakeholders and customers
- Interact closely with mechanical, systems, and electrical engineering disciplines to develop comprehensive solutions to design problems
- Provide high-level technical assessments and communications to business leadership
- Guide Software team members to evaluate and apply good practice engineering principles to meet project objectives
- Participate in project planning and drive execution to meet project timelines and deliverables
- Directly apply software expertise and experience to execute project assignments
Knowledge and Skills
- Work experience in an FDA/ISO-regulated environment preferred
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Developer's Studio, C#/.NET
- Demonstrated understanding of network protocols, Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Microsoft software tools for development, including cloud development
- Demonstrated understanding and usage of Microsoft Project
- Demonstrated experience with Software Configuration Management tools (source code control, defect tracking, continuous integration build tools)
- Talent management skills including coaching and mentoring, dealing with conflict. Manage performance and drive achievement. Recognize and deals effectively with low performance
- Ability to recruit, hire, and maintain high calibre staff
- Demonstrated leadership skills driving product enhancement and improved reliability projects
Education and Experience
- Minimum of ten years of experience in software development, instrumented systems and architecture concepts and designs
- Requires a BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a related Engineering discipline
- Minimum of five years leading engineering product development teams
- Minimum of five years of experience in Windows development environment
- Minimum of two years of Agile/Scrum development practices
- Minimum of two years of work experience in a regulated environment
A competitive salary with company funded health insurance, life assurance and an attractive pension packet as well as yearly performance incentives and share options.
Please contact Amanda Bevan should you require any further details on 061 307734 or click APPLY.