R&D Fermentation Scientist
The Scientist will be responsible for scaling up fermentation processes from laboratory to commercial scale.
The Scientist is expected to be familiar with industry practice/trends and current with internal/external literature, so continuous improvement and potentially “breakthrough” ideas can be identified and implemented to improve performance, increase efficiency, and reduce manufacturing costs.
To fulfil these responsibilities, the Scientist will provide technical leadership to the broader team consisting of technicians, assistant scientists, scientists, and senior scientists.
The applied research will involve all aspects of the manufacturing process which includes, but is not limited to, upstream, fermentation & downstream processing, emphasis is placed on improving product performance (i.e. increasing fermentation yield, enhancing cell counts and stability of fermentation process
The Scientist is also expected to be knowledgeable and comfortable with HPLC and GC-MS to support fermentation strain development and discovery work.
The Scientist will use Project Management and Six Sigma principles to achieve the project objectives and deliverables under his/her supervision.
As such, the Scientist will use Project Management and Six Sigma principles to achieve the project objectives and deliverables under his/her supervision. This will involve developing project plans with the help of key stakeholders (i.e. Business, Operations, Culture Manufacturing Technology, and Innovation), performing experimental work as technical lead, and organizing the execution of different elements of these projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership for developing new products, optimizing current products, and scaling up products/processes from laboratory to commercial scale.
- Use internal/external scientific literature, collaborations, and emerging industry trends for new product/process development and to identify potential “breakthrough” technology.
- Identify and develop collaborations to support development and “breakthrough” efforts.
- Work together with technicians, assistant scientists and scientists in developing new products, optimizing current products, and scaling up products/processes from laboratory to commercial scale.
- Initiate and develop new projects/feasibility studies based on needs of key stakeholders (Business, Operations, CMT, Innovation) using Project Management and Six Sigma principles.
- Execute project portfolio as Program Manager using project management and Six Sigma principles to achieve project objectives and deliverables.
- Document ideas, observations, and results in lab notebooks.
- Write technical reports/notes to report observations and results during the course of the projects.
- Write invention disclosures as appropriate to protect innovative processes.
- Communicate results to Manager and project/program stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Comply with all company policies.
- Adhere to GMP and to Safety Policy.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Preferred Ph.D. in the following or related areas: dairy science, food science, food engineering, microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology, or related field.
- Preferred knowledge and hands on experience with lactic acid bacteria physiology, genetics, and food fermentation systems.
- Preferred background in pilot lab and industrial scale fermentations utilizing best available technologies for knowledge and discovery based improvement of lactic acid bacteria.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of developing and enhancing performance of strains through fermentation, downstream processing, and application testing.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with hands on experience using HPLC and GC-MS for analytical needs.
- Project Management and Six Sigma experience.
- Supervisory/management experience.
- Working knowledge of intellectual property and writing patents
- Must have good listening and facilitating skills to work within a diverse, multinational work environment.