Visual Design Lead - The Dock
Fjord has joined forces with the The Dock. This is the new home for experimentation, co-creation and experiential design, and an exciting opportunity to put design doing at the heart of innovation.
Who are we?
We are designers, ukulele players, doctors and dancers. We are doing things that matter for lives, cities and robots. We are building a work environment where people are happy, productive and collaborative.
Who are you?
You are a kick-ass Visual Design Lead ready to join a fast-paced, growing innovation centre. You will operate across all stages of the innovation spectrum, with a remit to build the future in real-time. You will thrive in an open and interactive working environment, which facilitates collaboration with colleagues, clients and ecosystem partners. Our experimentation culture, combined with a disruptive brief, will ensure that together we will make it count.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Own the Centre’s craft output, ensuring each deliverable is of the highest quality.
- Partner with Group Service Design Director & HR to identify new talent and take an active and lead role in the hiring process.
- Take a day-to-day management role of the designers assigned as direct reports.
- Regularly support client projects as the senior craft designer on the project team.
- Mentor all design team members and encourage their growth and creative development.
- Own and facilitate guild meetings that identify design techniques, inspiration and new technologies relevant to our work.
- With support from the Program Management team, conduct interim project reviews before significant project milestones to ensure quality of output
- Provide support to business development and Program Management in scoping new projects- including articulating the approach, deliverables, timeline and team requirements.
- Provide feedback on design team to their line managers for mid-year and year end reviews, including opportunities for their creative development and improvement of technical capabilities.
- Facilitate and contribute to the creation, adoption and improvement of design ‘patterns’ and guidelines and their consistent deployment across various projects.
- Manage and maintain team motivation and morale.
- Engage with and direct freelancers, interns or visiting enlisted to support the project team, as and when required.
- Identify and resolve or escalate issues and conflicts within the project team.
Basic Qualifications Your Skills And Qualifications
- At least 6+ years relevant industry experience.
- In possession of a relevant degree or professional qualification(s).
- Proficient in and/or knowledge of relevant software packages i.e. Photoshop and Illustrator, In Design, 3D graphics packages, and motion graphics software such as After Effects.
- Experience creating visual design guidelines and documentation, design language systems and motion studies.
- Demonstrable skills in illustration, photography, or diagrammatic expertise (information visualization) and iconography are an advantage.
- Able to present concepts and justify design decisions.
- Able to multi-task and perform well under pressure.
- Demonstrable attention to detail.
- Seek out opportunities for self-development.
- Effectively manage administration such as time reporting, expense submission etc.
- Engage with and work within changing multi-disciplinary teams.
- Develop and maintain open honest and trusting relationships.
- Continually strive to exceed client expectations.
- Communicate in a clear, consistent and transparent manner.
- Adhere to procedures relating to the proper use and care of equipment & materials provided.
Please note, as part of all Designer recruitment processes, we require a portfolio of your relevant work or we will not be able to consider your application.
Please be sure to include a link to an online or downloadable portfolio on your CV, or, be sure to attach an additional document with a portfolio of your work, as part of your online application for this role.