Director, Medical Services
Division/Department: Medical Services
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
This role assures the effective and efficient delivery of the quality clinical care consistent with the Hospital’s mission, vision and values. Also responsible for Planning, organizing, directing the medical staff division which includes Physician Relations, physician recruitment and retention.
Ensure development and directs a performance improvement program that includes quality control, patient feedback mechanism, case management, infection control and Patient safety. DMS is responsible for the formulation of the continuous program of clinical education for all levels of clinical proposal.
Supervise and provides leadership in managing all medical services, infection control and quality management programs of hospital
- Supervises managerial personnel in the areas of Medical Staff, Quality Assurance and Continuous Medical Education.
- Recruits and Supervises all medical and paramedical services in the hospital.
- Ensures the full implementation of quality control systems and patients safety programs
- Attends Board of Directors meetings on regular basis. Provides inputs into and receives feedbacks from these meetings on behalf of medical staff.
- Implements an effective customer/patient complaint system to ensure complaints and their resolution and resolved, reordered and analyzed for trends.
Formulates and implements the policies and procedures
- Identifies strengths and weaknesses of the existing flow of operations within medical services.
- Identifies and sets benchmark for improving service standards
- Formulates policies with the appropriate reflection of situational analysis and practice of benchmark organizations
- Obtains creditable feedback from other managers through participatory approach for finalizing the policies and procedures.
- Obtains approval and executes the departmental policies and procedures.
Facilitates departmental Human Resources management
- Identifies the Human Resources requirements for own department in association with Human Resource department.
- Participates in recruitment and selection process of all doctors and paramedical staff as per policy in place.
- Provides inputs to strategic management of human resources and compensation management.
- Conducts staff development needs and facilitates human resources development programs within and outside the organization in association with HRD component.
- Conducts necessary coaching and counseling programs for the supervisors in own department.
- Monitors, controls and reviews the appraisals and reward programs in association with Human Resource department.
- Participates in organizational procedures for poor performance management and disciplinary actions as and when required.
Accomplishes financial management within the department
- Prepares, manages, and monitors departmental operating budgets in coordination with Director Finance.
- Provides inputs to finance department for formulating strategic management of funds and designing tariff for relevant services.
- Ensures the compliance with the AHD’s policies regarding financial management.
- Controls inventories and consumption related to own department.
Facilitates the way of effective and efficient communication channel
- Identifies the communication issues proactively and communicates to target groups.
- Acts as liaison between Hospital, the medical staff and outside parties.
- Executes the communication process and context in a manner understandable by target groups.
- Provides inputs to the marketing department for developing communication process and materials.
- Increases images of the organization by representing organization in different forums.
Facilitates AHD’s movement towards achieving JCIA
- Leads the department and disseminates the standards to be achieved related to own area of services.
- Prepares and implements plan of actions for achieving relevant JCIA standards.
- Supervises the practices of maintaining the quality in service provided.
- Attempts for continuous improvement in quality.
Participates in entitled committees in an active manner
- Assists in resolving significant issues in the committees’ meeting in a participatory and collaborative approach.
- Communicates the key decision reached by the committees to the concerned employees.
- Assists in proper functioning of each committee for which it exists.
- Participates in maintaining the hospital’s regulatory compliance.
Must be a physician with MD or PG Diploma with must have at least 5 years of clinical experience and substantial medical/administrative background.
- 15 to 20 years of experience in any foreign countries with substantial job involvement in hospitality services, customer relationship management, hotel management, facility management etc.
- At least 5 – 7 years in the leadership position in similar organization/industry.
- Understanding of and experience in quality management, risk management, utilization review and clinical outcome management programs
- Ability to blend clinical skills as a physician with administrative knowledge and understanding to achieve desired results.
- Capability to deliver scientific messages with higher credibility and strong presentation skill.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the integrated professional, technical and administrative principles and procedures of a medical clinic.
- Knowledge of accreditation and certification requirements.
- Knowledge of patient grievances principals and management.
- Excellent communication, team building and persuasion skills in working with administrative and line personnel.
- Understanding of principles of continuous quality improvement.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to develop, plan and implement short and long range strategy and goals
- Skills in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of budgeting cost estimating and financial management.
- A high professional standard in regards to Service Quality.
- Consultative leadership and management style.
- Robustness and flexibility.
- Strong practical problem-solving ability.
- Well-developed written and communication skill.
- People management skills.
- Ability to positively promote and implement change.