The Department of Transport has responsibility for the development and implementation of Ireland's transport policy which is centred around the efficient and safe movement of people and goods and ensuring increased accessibility to all passengers using the transport network. The Climate Action Plan 2019 commits to a reduction of 45-50% in transport emissions by 2030, which will be a key challenge in the coming years. Brexit will also have significant impact on transport connectivity.
The Secretary General is the Administrative Head of the Department, the Accounting Officer and has overall management responsibility for managing the Department, implementing Government policies, providing advice to the Minister, preparing Statements of Strategy as well as ensuring proper use of resources and the provision of cost-effective public services.
The successful candidate:
- will have a record of achievement in his/her career to date demonstrating excellent senior management and leadership experience in a multifunctional organisation of significant complexity and scale;
- will have a well-developed capacity to lead a large group of staff and network of agencies in a complex and demanding environment;
- will have the ability to formulate and communicate a long term vision for the sector and for the organisation;
- will have strong interpersonal skills, including the capacity to manage critical relationships using judgment, vision and leadership;
- Will demonstrate a proven ability to network and influence internationally.
S/he will also have an understanding of, or an ability to quickly acquire an understanding of, the challenges facing the transport sector both domestically and in terms of international connectivity from the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic and Brexit.
This is a Top Level Appointments Committee (TLAC) position.
If you feel you would benefit from a confidential discussion, please contact Aoife Lyons on email@example.com.
The closing date for receipt of complete applications is 3pm, Thursday, 22nd October 2020.
For more information and how to apply, visit: http://bit.ly/Execjobs_Ad_SecGen
We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and encourage applications under all nine grounds of the Employment Equality Act.