Head of Corporate Services/Registrar
NCAD is looking to recruit a senior leadership role at an exciting time in the College’s future. The role holder will be responsible for ensuring the NCAD is built on a solid operational foundation and will be responsible for financial and resource planning and contribute to setting best operational practice within NCAD.
One of Ireland’s foremost creative and cultural institutions. NCAD is a community dedicated to creating a rich and lively learning environment for all students.
For over 270 years NCAD has represented excellence in art and design education. Our role has continually evolved to reflect the needs of community and industry, enabling NCAD to imagine future possibilities and shape the world around us.
NCAD is a creative community, and one of Europe’s leading higher education institutions for visual disciplines. Our studio-based approach to teaching and research creates the environment for critical enquiry, radical experimentation and creative learning, helping our students and staff to address many of the real challenges confronting society, culture and contemporary business.
Our graduates, whether in Design, Fine Art, Education or Visual Culture are equipped to approach situations, questions or challenges through a process of creative thinking that they learn while students here. They are well qualified to bring their creativity and skills to many different careers when they leave NCAD, and NCAD graduates have gone on to make their mark in many areas of the economy and society.
This senior leadership role is central to the future success of NCAD. The successful candidate will have a driving role on the College Management team, who will be working closely together to implement NCAD’s strategic plan.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an institution that is building an ambitious future enabled by a strong culture of effective management.
The role holder will be responsible for ensuring the NCAD is built on a solid operational foundation and will be responsible for financial and resource planning and contribute to setting best operational practice within NCAD.
Key Responsibilities include:
Financial strategy, planning and controls
- Working with the Director to develop a financial plan that supports the College’s strategic plan with a particular focus on planning NCAD’s resources to support the future development of the College
- Identify opportunities for income growth and the business strategies required to maximise these opportunities
- Act as College Secretary, providing governance and administrative support to An Bord
- Ensure that the College operates under an active corporate governance and assurance framework that is in line with best practice, understood across the organisation and reviewed and developed as appropriate. Corporate Governance procedures comply with accepted best practice.
- As Chief Risk Officer, lead an active risk management policy across the College, ensuring reviews of the Risk Register are undertaken regularly with the College Management Team and An Bord.
Strategic Human Resources
- Working with the Head of HR and Staff Development to develop a strong HR function within the College encompassing new procedures for professional development, performance management and recruitment.
- Ensure that NCAD’s Pension Schemes are administered in line with legislative requirements and oversee the delivery of the College payroll system.
Physical and Digital Facilities
- Oversee the College’s operational, facilities management and security activities so as to ensure that the College’s facilities are well managed and maintained.
- Oversee a robust culture of health and safety management across the College, ensuring that NCAD is a safe and secure environment for students and staff.
- Oversee the ICT function to ensure that the College infrastructure, systems and capabilities meet current and projected future requirements, including the identification and roll out of significant new management information systems.
- To play a leadership role in the implementation of the College Strategy and future development of the College.
- To play a leadership role in working with the Director and Heads of School to build a sustainable plan for strategic development of the College, underpinned by informed business planning.
- Represent the College with key stakeholders including the HEA and Department of Education and Skills.
Competencies required include:
- The ability to operate at a strategic level coupled with operational understanding and strong financial acumen. A visible and energetic leader with the ability to motivate others, delegate effectively and facilitate high performance. The ability to understand and focus on core issues whilst engaging with a wide range of operational models. The ability to make sound decisions in a timely manner.
- Be flexible, results-focused and have the ability to work under pressure.
Selection criteria outline the qualifications, skills, knowledge and/or experience that the successful candidate would need to demonstrate for successful discharge of the responsibilities of the post. Applications will be assessed on the basis of how well candidates satisfy these criteria.
- At least 5 years’ experience operating at senior management level.
- Demonstrable experience of financial management including building financial plans and implementing financial controls.
- Demonstrable experience of leading and motivating teams.
- Demonstrable experience of project management and driving organisational development.
- Demonstrable experience of corporate governance and of driving improvements in Governance.
- Membership of a recognised professional accountancy body.
- Demonstrable experience of HR practices and strategic staff development.
- A working knowledge of facilities management and the health and safety environment
- Certification in Data Protection.
- A working knowledge of Government frameworks for procurement.
- Experience of working in the public sector and Higher Education Sector in particular.
Pay, Benefits & Additional Information:
The salary range for this role is: €91,557 – €108,833*
*New entrants to the Public Sector will be appointed at the first point of the scale
- Membership of the Single Public Service Pension Scheme.
- Annual leave of 30 days per annum.
To find out more and to apply:
To find out more about this opportunity and to receive an Applicant Briefing Pack please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this opportunity please submit the following to email@example.com :
- Vacancy Application Form (available from the NCAD website www.ncad.ie)
- An up-to-date CV including a competency statement
- A covering letter
Closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday 22nd May 2019 at 5pm.
Interview dates will provisionally be 10th/11th June 2019
Final Stage interviews will be held on 17th June 2019.