Associate Director, Process Engineering, GES (Capital Projects)
MSD is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where MSD has codified its 125-year legacy. MSD’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Our Manufacturing Division is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Associate Director in Global Engineering Solutions is responsible for implementation of capital projects (as Process Lead) and studies that support business objectives. Reporting to a Technology Director, the candidate leads capital project Process Engineering activities ranging from early pre-charter activities through execution and close-out utilizing the Capital Management stage gate process with varying degrees of responsibility. The Associate Director collaborates with other Integrated Project Team members (plant operations personnel, outside contractors) and is able to direct the work of suppliers in preparation of project related deliverables. The candidate also leads studies, applies Lean methods, and provides consulting to ongoing projects and existing business operations.
The Associate Director will primarily support the Large Molecule Biologics/Vaccines/Sterile lines of business with opportunity to be exposed to multiple business areas, and is expected to develop and maintain advanced technical knowledge in their respective area(s) of expertise. Initial focus for this role will be a project in the Netherlands. The role can be flexibly located in Ireland or the Netherlands.
The Associate Director will exhibit advanced leadership, interpersonal and communication skills, is expected to develop and maintain technical knowledge in their respective area(s) of expertise, and provides guidance to assigned engineers. Successful performance requires advance technical knowledge in own field, knowledge in a variety of other areas including new products, processes, systems and facilities, and imaginative and innovative approaches to new and diverse problems.
- Responsible for development of project scope, front-end planning, evaluation of alternative solutions and preliminary designs for manufacturing facilities
- Provides technical guidance during project implementation, assures viability of technology in proposed configuration, adherence to company standards and practices
- Preliminary designs, including P&ID development and HAZOP facilitation
- Leads or supports commissioning and qualification activities
- Participate in the development and review of engineering guidelines, standards, safety/environmental policies, and change request.
This Associate Director position will have responsibilities for technical inputs into aportfolio of Large Molecule capital projects within the EU region. Experience in Large Molecule unit operation design, startup, and/or operation is preferred, with understanding/awareness of Bilologics Drug Subtance and/or Sterile Drug Product.
In this role, periodic travel may be required to engineering firms and/or vendor workshops. A successful candidate based at a home location outside of the Netherlands would require temporary higher percentages of travel for the initial project assignment.
Why is this a compelling position for a dynamic and ambitious Capital Project Management professional to consider?
- Excellent opportunity to play a key role in the future development of MSD’s Large Molecule supply network. MSD is undergoing a period of significant investment in expanding and refurbishing assets, presenting wide ranging opportunity to demonstrate technical acumen, leadership and innovation in delivering the capital portfolio.
- Superb opportunity to join the existing GES team in Europe and become a part of the broader MSD GES community which presents opportunities to be exposed to the network of sites across MSD worldwide whilst developing and growing your career.
- Our employees are the key to our company’s success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company’s benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives.
- Minimum 8 years Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry in engineering and/or manufacturing in vaccines or biologics
- Advanced understanding of hygienic, CIP, SIP design and unit operations specific to biologic manufacturing and/or aseptic processing
- Creative, innovative, thinks outside of the box, self-motivated, applies problem-solving skills, and solid base in engineering fundamentals and equipment troubleshooting
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills. Ability to get results in a cross functional environment and has ability to effectively collaborate with and influence partners.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Project/Time Management skills which deliver on-time and quality work
Bachelor of Science degree (or higher) in Engineering or applicable Science
Your role at MSD is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At MSD, we’re inventing for life.