The role: Executive Director
Irish National Opera is a major new initiative for opera in Ireland. Based in Dublin, Irish National Opera is a new company funded by The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon. Applications are now sought for the key position of Executive Director. Working alongside the Artistic Director, this role represents an exciting opportunity to provide corporate leadership and a unique chance to contribute to the successful development and operation of this new organisation. Irish National Opera welcomes applications from candidates with relevant high-level management experience from diverse backgrounds including the arts, public and private sectors.
Irish National Opera was founded by Opera Theatre Company and Wide Open Opera. The company will produce main scale operas and smaller touring productions throughout Ireland beginning in 2018.
Irish National Opera will provide new opportunities for audiences to engage with opera through a diverse and dynamic programme. In doing this the company will have a particular focus on the work of Irish artists.
Central to the activities of Irish National Opera will be productions of core-repertoire full-scale opera productions in Dublin’s 2,013-seat Bord Gáis Energy Theatre and 1,078-seat Gaiety Theatre, with a number of these productions also appearing in the Cork Opera House and the National Opera House, Wexford. Other smaller scale touring productions will reach a wider number of locations. The company plans to regularly (at least annually) produce work in twenty-six different venues in Ireland as well as developing a significant international profile.
The Executive Director is a key role in the successful development and running of the organisation. Working collaboratively with the Artistic Director and reporting to the Board, the Executive Director will provide corporate leadership, develop stakeholder relationships, contribute to business development and public relations as well as managing the day to day administrative and operational functions of the company. The Executive Director will play a key role in the subsequent recruitment of other Irish National Opera staff.
Irish National Opera is seeking an experienced candidate who can demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities in all operational functions, including but not limited to financial management, fundraising, organisational and business development, marketing, communications, public relations and audience development. Candidates with relevant experience from a range of different career stages and diverse backgrounds including the arts, public and private sectors are welcomed.
Key Role Responsibilities
- General Management, Financial Oversight and Operations.
- Day to day operations of the organisation.
- Management and development of administrative staff.
- Develop the annual budget in partnership with the Artistic Director, Production Director and Board.
- Financial management. Projected company turnover of €4.5million in 2018, rising subsequently.
- Legal compliance.
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director and the Board of Directors on long-term strategic planning.
- Manage Arts Council and other partner relationships such as corporate and media partners, venue and festival partnerships etc.
- Develop and lead Irish National Opera’s development initiatives (both corporate and individual giving).
- Oversee Irish National Opera’s marketing and sponsorship in partnership with the Head of Communications and Development.
- Work with the Board and Artistic Director to create strategies, communications plans, and production of development collateral.
Experience and Skills
The minimum requirements for the role are:
- Minimum 5 years substantial and directly relevant management experience.
- High-level experience of financial management and corporate governance.
- Degree or relevant higher qualification in a relevant discipline.
- Strong computer and ICT skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience of developing and managing corporate partnerships.
- Proven track record and demonstrated capacity to balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of Irish arts sector will be an advantage.
The suitable candidate will display and be able to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Strong business acumen; ability to manage a multi-million euro budget, experience in corporate governance, reporting, accounting and compliance.
- Diplomacy and tact; working in a demanding and creative environment.
- Interpersonal skills and leadership; experience in leading teams, and motivating colleagues.
- Personal accountability; high levels of integrity, ability to work under pressure.
- Stakeholder focus; ability to manage and sustain relationships with funders, sponsors and partners.
Compensation and benefits
Competitive salary based on experience and qualifications. Further details provided upon application.
How to apply
To apply please send your CV & cover letter via our online portal by clicking apply.
Application deadline – 6th October 2017
Candidates must be available to attend an interview in Dublin on 24th or 25th October 2017.
Further details on the role will be made available at the time of application.
Irish National Opera is funded by The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon.