Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to the Board of Directors, Galway Simon Community seek to appoint a new Chief Executive Officer for a 7 year Fixed-Term Contract.
Galway Simon Community provides supported accommodation and social care to individuals and families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Established in 1979, the community has grown rapidly in recent years. The staff team comprises of 37 full time staff, 25 part time staff, 21 Community Employment participants and approximately 30 people on the relief panel who, together with volunteers, provide an increasingly responsive and coordinated range of services. The range of services offered includes shared supported accommodation with 24/7 cover/peripatetic support, an outreach service, a drop in Resource Centre in Ballinasloe and a resettlement service. Galway Simon Community also has a multi-disciplinary team comprising of substance misuse counsellors, a registered general nurse, a community mental health nurse and an occupational therapist that works across all homeless services in Galway city.
Galway Simon Community provides general managerial support to North West Simon Community under a memorandum of understanding. This is led by the CEO of Galway Simon Community.
Galway Simon Community believes in and actively supports service user participation in the evaluation, planning and delivery of services.
Subject to the lawful directions of the Board of Directors of the organisation, the Chief Executive shall:
- Oversee the effective delivery of both the client services and the business functions of the organisation.
- Ensure that the organisation is operating to recognised best practice standards, strengthening the delivery of existing services and developing new income streams.
- Advise the Board of Directors on any matter relating to or affecting the stated policy, objectives, strategy and key outcomes and outputs of the organisation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and review Galway Simon Community’s strategies and policies, which communicate a clear shared mission, vision and values for the organisation.
- Lead efforts in Galway Simon Community to ensure that services meet or exceed the needs and expectations of clients and other stakeholders.
- Identify and develop new services in accordance with Galway Simon Community’s vision, mission and values.
- Ensure that Galway Simon Community campaigns and advocates effectively on homelessness and related issues that affect people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
- Represent Galway Simon Community at all appropriate fora both local and national.
- Ensure an appropriate and effective fundraising strategy is developed and implemented to maximise current and new methods of fundraising.
- Ensure that fundraising targets are met each year, generating sufficient income from various sources to enable Galway Simon Community to meet its aim and objectives.
- Ensure that Galway Simon Community’s financial resources are planned and managed as efficiently and prudently as possible in achieving the organisation’s aims and objectives.
- Ensure that the financial affairs of the organisation are managed in accordance with best practice and through application of applicable accounting standards including SORP.
- Ensure that Galway Simon Community fulfils its responsibility to staff and is seen as an employer of choice within the marketplace.
- Identify and utilise a combination of strategies to ensure the staffing needs of the organisation are met at all times.
- Ensure effective communication and positive relationships with all Galway Simon Community stakeholders (internal and external) in accordance with the values of the organisation.
- Ensure that Galway Simon Community fulfils its responsibilities for the safety health and welfare of clients, staff, volunteers and visitors.
- Work with the Chairperson of the Board of Directors in ensuring the effective and efficient governance of Galway Simon Community.
- Ensure that Galway Simon Community complies with company and charity legislation.
- Participate on the Board of Directors of the Simon Communities of Ireland and any other such mechanism and function as may be identified and developed.
- Build, motivate and maintain a healthy, open and innovative team spirit throughout the organisation.
- Carry out other duties as required which are consistent with the job.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills. Ideally the candidate will have the following:
- A post-graduate level qualification in social/health services policy or management
- Experience in leading the strategic development of health or social service organisation(s), delivering multiple services.
- Experience managing and motivating large organisations made up of both voluntary and employed staff.
- Proven ability to develop high performance teams/ organisations in which there is a high level of accountability and empowerment supported by a culture of transparency and trust.
- Experience of working with statutory or regulatory bodies with the ability to influence the shaping of government policy.
- Experience in managing fundraising activity from direct funders, statutory sources and corporate sponsorship.
- Strong negotiation skills with a proven ability to influence key stakeholders.
- Experienced in managing finances.
- Familiarity with quality based and outcome oriented service standards.
- Experience of public speaking and display an ease in dealings with the media.
- Experience of effective reporting to a Board of Directors.
- Proven experience of managing organisation(s) of comparable size and budget to that of Galway Simon Community.
- Proven ability to show leadership in collaboration with other related external agencies.
- Knowledge and empathy with the issues around homelessness.
Ideally the candidate will possess the following qualities:
- Share the values and ethos of Galway Simon Community.
- Excellent leadership skills with a proven ability to successfully lead and empower teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills complemented by strong communication and management abilities.
- Ability to command the confidence and respect of the senior management team and other stakeholders.
- Capable of creating and communicating strong vision and forming common purpose, while mobilising the energies of a diverse and complex organisation.
- Proven adaptability to respond appropriately to changing external conditions.
- Pragmatism and the ability to relate effectively at all levels.
- Creative and innovative approach to problem solving.
Interested applicants should apply in confidence to the Human Resources Manager, Galway Simon Community, Unit 18 Tuam Road Centre, Tuam Road, Galway by close of business on 4th September 2017. Click APPLY.
If you have any questions in relation to this position please contact Michelle Flannery e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: 091 381828
Any job offer made will be subject to terms of contract including the satisfactory pre-employment medical checks and Garda vetting.
Galway Simon Community is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for Chief Executive Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly