Translator - English Department
Translator - English Department
Job group 4
Directorate Language and Document Services
EPO Munich (DE)
The European Patent Office (EPO) - the second-largest public institution in Europe, with 7 000 staff members and a self-financed annual budget of EUR 2bn - is looking for a translator within the English Department of its Language Service.
The Language Service plays a vital part in the work of the Office. Its main function is to provide translation and interpreting for the three official languages, but it also carries out other tasks, such as maintaining a sophisticated terminology database and editing texts by non-native speakers, all of which are essential to any modern organisation that values quality and consistency in communication.
- Translating a wide variety of French and German texts into English, particularly in patent law, general law, economics, finance and IT
- Editing English texts intended for publication which are not drafted by mother-tongue authors
- Proofreading texts for publication
- Vetting the language of legally binding texts in collaboration with other translators, lawyers and authors
- Helping to build up the trilingual terminology database
- Further tasks as assigned by line management
The ideal candidate will have
- the ability to analyse and process texts logically and accurately
- the ability to work under pressure while maintaining a high level of quality
- a clear and concise style of writing in a wide range of registers
- knowledge and experience of using the MS-Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and IT translation tools (e.g. SDL Studio and SDL MultiTerm)
- the ability to interact effectively with colleagues and authors
- English as mother tongue and thorough knowledge of French and German
- broad general knowledge
Experience of translating in an international organisation would be an advantage.
- A very good university degree in languages or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience
- Excellent knowledge of one official language (English, French or German) and ability to understand the other two
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation
Salary and benefits
The EPO offers competitive salaries, an excellent social package, and varied work in a modern international environment. The net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy ranges from EUR 5 317.77 to 7 530.93, depending on experience. In addition, depending on their personal circumstances, EPO staff may be entitled to relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependant's, childcare, education, expatriation, installation and rent allowance).
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
Procedure and timeframe
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and experience, supplemented by translation/editing tests and interviews.
It is intended to hold written tests in week 22 and interviews in week 23 in Munich.
The envisaged starting date for the selected candidate is 1 January 2018.
At the end of our selection process, we may place suitable candidates on a reserve list for a limited period of time. Being on a reserve list does not guarantee a job offer or imply any entitlement to employment at the EPO. You will be considered automatically for vacancies in your field. No action is required on your part unless we contact you.
Please apply online, using the online application form, reference number INT/EXT/4061 via the 'Apply' button.
Closing date: 8 May 2017.